What is Yoga Practice?
“Yoga is the practice of quieting the mind” – Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras
Yoga is a system of philosophy that originated in India over 5,000 years ago. The word yoga comes from Sanskrit, meaning to yoke, join or unite. This implies joining or integrating all aspects of the individual – body, mind and spirit.
Benefits of Yoga
Yoga seeks to promote health and well-being through physical exercise. The regular practice of asanas (postures), breathing exercises and relaxation makes the body strong, supple and healthy. It has a profound effect on the circulation and on the functioning of the inner organs, glands and nerves, keeping all systems in radiant health and leading to greater energy, improved concentration and a happier more fulfilling life. Many common physical ailments can be improved through regular practice of yoga and it is never too late or too early in life to take it up.
Anyone can practice yoga!
What to expect?
During a class each posture, or asana, is held for a period of time and synchronised with the breath. Generally a yoga session begins with gentle asanas and works up to the more vigorous or challenging postures. A full session should exercise every part of the body and should include breathing practices ad relaxation/meditation. The different asanas include: sitting, lying, standing, inversions, twisting, forward bending, back bending and balancing. Invest in a healthier, happier lifestyle, attend at least 5 sessions before assessing the benefits of theyoga techniques. All equipment supplied in Samtosha Yoga Studio (in Newhaven), maximum of 10 participants.
Know Yoga= Know Peace
No Yoga = No Peace
Yoga Tips Before You Start:
– Never drink alcohol before a class
– Eat at least 2hrs before practising yoga
– Always practise in bare feet
– Always use a yoga mat
– Use the bathroom prior to a class
– Wear approriate clothing
– Bring warm clothing i.e. socks, blanket
– No inversions when menstruating
– Limit fluid intake during a class
– Please use the blocks, belts, props
– Please ask for any assistance or help
– Make teacher aware of any injuries
– Drink plenty of water after a class
– Asthmatics please bring inhalers
– Diabetics please bring sweets/sugar
– Go at your own pace
– Do what feels right for you
There is no competition in Yoga
For more information, please contact:
Janet (01273) 512306